Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Hipsters/Yuppies

So, are hipsters the new Yuppies? Is it kind of the same thing. Young professionals with money to spare and into the newest trends. Don't get me wrong, I love hipsters and yuppies. Where would my massage practice be without double income no kids plus dogs people to support my practice.

I'm often jealous of hipsters. I would probably still be one if I didn't have kids. I remember a time when I had extra money to do things like, See a Band or build my CD collection or, even better yet hang out for hours in coffee shops. Part of the hipster look is looking like you don't care that you are hip. For example, choppy hair that is carefully messed up or, jeans and seems that are oh so intentionally distressed.

My husband, the social critic of everything related to bicycles, points out that there is a new trend to single speed or fix a bike. That isn't bad in and of itself, in fact it's practical however, there is this thing where the handle bars are intentionally cut narrow so that one's hands mush rest next to the stem. A pair of mismatch rubber handlebar covers adds to the overall look of the bike. If you know anything about bikes, you know that narrow handle bars makes it almost impossible to handle the bike. Really, you need all the maneuverability you can get when you are probably also sporting a gigantic chain. You know the kinds that can wrap around your neck and makes you look like you live in New York.

I think that part of being a hipster is trying to separate yourself from that fact. In other words,
"Those people are such hipsters (say it with disdain.)" The hipper you are the more you have to be in denial of that fact. Of course, I would never admit that I could have fallen into the category of hipster a good five years ago. My clothes were often distressed, but that is because I am by nature and cheapskate and a slob.

My question is, what does Hipster mean to you? Are you one? If you aren't, what stands in your way? Is it possible to be hipster parents?

1 comment:

  1. Hi April, I just read your blog. Here's a phrase I coined: Minneapolis, where hipsters spawn. You're still a hipster, in every positive way! I used to be, but that was back in the 80s :-) Okay, back to grading.

    ReplyDelete